Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Shin Jung Hyun & Yup Juns


























Artist: Shin Jung Hyun & Yup Juns
Album: Shin Jung Hyun & Yup Juns
Label: Jigu Records
Year: 1974

1. Beautiful Woman
2. Think
3. There Must Be Someone
4. Long, Long Night
5. I Love You
6. My Girl
7. Excitement
8. Nothing To Say
9. I Don't Know
10. Again, This Feeling

I really wanted to get started, so I thought I'd put one up tonight.

This is a great "psych-rock" gem from Korean guitarist Shin Jung Hyun (considered to be the "Godfather of Rock" in Korea). I won't get into a biography of the man, but you can read about him here.

Though considered to be a psychedelic album, the tracks on this album definitely vary. The first four songs have many funky rhythms, reminiscent of the Meters or early Funkadelic. "I Love You" consists of only percussion and vocals, and is a repeated, somewhat-tribal chant. The calmer and washy sound of "Excitement" would fit easily with the works of King Crimson and early Pink Floyd, and the instrumental closer "Again, This Feeling," has almost the same feel and sound as Hendrix's "Third Stone From The Sun."

As a preview, here's a video of Shin Jung Hyun & Yup Juns performing "Nothing To Say" from the 1975 Korean Film Miin ("Beauty"). Unfortunately, the version in this video is quite a bit funkier than the version on the album:



The track titles were translated for me by a friend whose Korean was admittedly rusty. If you think any of them are grossly incorrect, let me know and I'll fix it.

Ripped from vinyl at 320 kbps (mp3). Download the album here.


Much love,

This Mutha

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, i just found you through Google looking for this album and this is your first post? Thank you!

lewiji said...

Thank you SO MUCH for this - I've been looking for a full version of 'nothing to say' for ages, so to find the whole album is just amazing :D

Anonymous said...

Thanx a lot!